Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Exploring the Northern Coast Part 2


So, now that I got my philosophy lesson out of the way in my last post, we can look at the rest of the Northern Coast of Israel.  Next stop after Caesarea was Haifa.  It was a quick stop over at the Bahai Gardens which are really cool.  There are actually only 300 people of the Bahai faith in Israel, and they bought the land from the state, but it's a pretty amazing view perfectly located on the top of Mount Carmel overlooking the city and the ocean.  

Afterwards, we headed to the Rosh Hanikra grottoes located on the Lebanon border.  You have to take a cable car down to the bottom.  If you squint really hard at the picture below, you should be able to see the buoys marking the border between Israel and Lebanon.  From the top, where you catch the cable car down, I remarked, "But, if that's right, then I'm on the Lebanon side".  Mostly I was just playing Devil's advocate, but as it turned out, it's an optical illusion.

  
Finally reaching the bottom, we walked through a quick tunnel system (about 400 meters), and checked out the grottoes.  I know it's just rocks and water, but I was honestly a huge fan.  



We capped the tour off with a quick walk over to the border.  We chatted with the pictured soldier for a minute.  I asked him if the IDF yelled at them a lot in basic training, in my aim to determine key differences between the IDF and the U.S. Military.  I've heard it's pretty relaxed in a lot of ways because everyone has to serve; they even have opportunities for mentally challenged adults to serve.  Whereas in the U.S., they'll medically disqualify you for almost anything, the IDF is pretty accepting of everyone.  It's interesting though because that doesn't always translate for the Arabs, the security questions being so strong. 













That's all I've got for now.  Have a good weekend.  Catch you later.  



                             



No comments:

Post a Comment